Skip to main content


The City has a step by step process to aid the Barnwell property owners and developers in all their Zoning needs and questions.  

For any new development or business, the first step begins with the Zoning Permit Application.  If approved, a business license application can be processed.  If denied, there are several choices, whatever appropriate to the situation, that the participant can make.

  1. Request an appeal from the Action of the Zoning Administrator to the Board of Zoning Appeals.
  2. Request a Variance Application to the Board of Zoning Appeals.
  3. Request a Special Exception Application to the Board of Zoning Appeals.
  4. Request a Zoning Map Amendment (rezoning) Application to the Planning Commission.

All Action taken to the Board of Zoning Appeals may either be approved or denied.  If denied, the participant, if questioning the validity of the decision based on interpretation of the law, may send an appeal to the Circuit Court for a ruling on the interpretation of the law ( opinion given to regards to the zoning issue.)

For a request for rezoning (4), the application may either be approved or denied by the Planning Commission.  If approved, it goes forward to the City Council.  If denied, there is no other appeal unless the participant brings suit. 

Zoning Information

Maps on this site are not official.  Some changes may have been made since the production of this information.   Please visit Barnwell City Hall for the official Zoning Maps.