A crime victim has the following rights:
- The right to be treated with fairness and with respect for victim's dignity and privacy and informed of a victim's constitutional rights.
- The right to be reasonably informed when the accused or convicted person is arrested, released from custody, or has escaped.
- The right to be informed of and present at all criminal proceedings which are dispositive of the charges where the defendant has the right to be present.
- The right to be allowed to submit either a written or an oral statement at all hearings affecting bond or bail.
- The right to be heard at any proceedings involving a post-arrest decision, a plea or sentencing.
- The right to be reasonably protected from the accused or persons acting on his behalf throughout the criminal justice process.
- The right to confer with the prosecution after the crime against the victim has been charged, before the trial or before any disposition and informed of the disposition.
- The right to have reasonable access after the conclusion of the criminal investigation to all documents relating to the crime against the victim before trial.
- The right to received prompt and full restitution from the convicted person or persons.
- The right to be informed of any proceedings when any post-conviction action or hearing is being considered and be present at any hearing.
- The right to a reasonable disposition and prompt and final conclusion to the case.
For more info please contact:
Jennifer A. Medlin
Victim Services Coordinator
State Office of Victims Assistance
P.O. Box 502
Bamberg SC, 29003
Other Important Numbers
Barnwell City Police Department
Barnwell County Solicitor's Victim Assistance Program
South Carolina Victim Assistance Network
Governor's Office and Division of Victim's Assistance Compensation
The Department of Juvenile Justice
The Department of Social Services
Barnwell County Detention Center
Barnwell Municipal Court
Axis 1 Center
Barnwell County Help Line (Domestic Abuse, Rape Crisis)